I haven't been able to read all 5 pages of posts, but thought I'd add my two cents since I have a much different perspective about unschooling after this summer.

We started HSing last January. Like many, I'd had a generally unfavorable opinion of "unschooling" after meeting several HS families whose children clearly aren't meeting basic standards. (I think this is also why, 12 months ago, I also had an unfavorable opinion of HSing itself!) I generally follow the classical approach, but we only spend about 50% of our schooltime on standards-type lessons. The rest ebbs and flows around DS's interests, either with self-exploration or through co-ops.

My unschooling epiphany came this summer when I decided that we weren't going to do any formal schoolwork, and I'd let DS pick his own path. I HATE having electronics on during the day and thought I'd have to be a meanie about his new Wii and DS. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised!

DS probably played Wii for a total of 10 hours all summer, and his DS rarely made an appearance except during trips. The tv stayed off without incident, and yet his days were filled! He created two "summer camps," read more than 100 books, came up with a novel series (he's on book 2), decided to practice typing, played constant math games w/ friends in our car and figured out math puzzles/facts (ie how many days old was his 2 year old brother?), insisted on going to 2 weeks of vacation bible school, science camp, and art camp, studied astronomy, chose 8 museums to visit and helped plan our Crater Lake trip, ("this is the coolest HS subject ever," he declared at a natural history museum where he spent hours reading about native tribes), asked for additional swimming lessons, picked out projects from SOTW to do on his own...and the list went on and on. He also has numerous friends and his weeks are filled with taekwondo, soccer, swimming, and playdates, so he's not a loner desperate for something to do. He simply wants to learn..... and we simply "unschooled."

Since I'm s high type-A "structure person" myself, I can't say that this has convinced me to chuck my planning and become an unschooler all school year. I can't imagine this working for the majority of 6 year old children we know. HOWEVER, I am convinced that it works wonderfully for children like him when the parents are carefully monitoring to make sure the "important things" also make their way in. For those parents who put in the extra effort needed to allow this freedom, it can be wonderful!

Through our own experiment, it has also taught me to follow more of what my son needs. Now, though we have our list of ideals to hit every day, I listen more to his needs. When he has a new idea for his chapter, I suspend my plan long enough for him to get it down. When he wants to study more about Spartans instead of the Aztecs, or take a month from life science to learn the constellations, I follow his lead. He's a happier student, and I usually end up learning something from him. smile

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2