I agree, GeoMamma, that it's the context more than the number.

I grew up thinking I was MG. I didn't ever see/hear my score, and our family tried hard to fit in as much as possible, though HG+-ness runs in the family. Being smart was both what I was and something vaguely embarrassing.

I didn't find out my score until we were testing DS #1 when he was 5/6yo.

This is important because I knew he was smarter than I was, but my understanding of my own LOG was skewed low for decades. I think I'd have understood my own sense of being isolated as I grew up if I'd had some info about my testing. But more than anything I'd have been more prepared to help my own kids if I'd known my real LOG.

I don't think the number was necessary for me to know--though with proper explanation of the nature of test imprecision, score ranges, etc., I think I could have heard the number at some point in my childhood or adolescence and it would have been fine--but the LOG would have helped me a lot.

As a result, I have made sure to be pretty clear with our boys about the fact that they are, indeed, "wicked smart." It's matter-of-fact, like talking about the color of their eyes, but it's part of them, and it's an important part for how they learn. It is not something we downplay as if it's an embarrassment, but giftedness is what you make of it, no more and no less. High IQ or not, they still have to work hard, be kind to people, use good manners, etc., just like everyone does.

BTW, I was privvy to my achievement test scores, the standardized tests that kids get through school, but with basically no explanation about them. Until I was an adult trying to understand my DS's scores, I didn't understand that there was no such thing as a 100% on the tests, because the 99% really meant "99th percentile." I always worried about it on my own testing. And if I missed one and dropped to the 97th %ile? Ack! This was much harder on a perfectionist than knowing my IQ would have been, I think.

So I won't show *any* standardized test results to my kids unless I am sure that they can understand the nature of the results. I take a good long time to explain it all and to downplay perfection.

Kriston