I just bought a book called Smart Boys by Barbara Kerr because I think it was recommended by a man on this board in which thread I can't recall. �I was interested because they said it will help a parent deal with underachievement due to negative peer pressure. �Where we live I think we'll need it. �Actually the book starts off and highlights 100 years of how research and public perception of giftedness has evolved, starting in 1921-22 when Lewis Terman studied gifted boys to disprove the theory of that time, "early ripe, early rot". �(I think that old theory's back, LoL) �A later researcher studied gifted boys age 11-14 who 1.) felt that girls had more freedom than they �to express emotions, 2.)many saw relationships with girls as achievements and sought the "perfect girl" 3.) half thought they should hide their intelligence, etc... Much more.
There's stories of grown men who were gifted boys and examples of real boys who are gifted and studies of the recent historical changes in defining masculinity, and how it may be harder on gifted boys who are more sensitive and socially aware at a younger age. �It explores relationships and asynchronous development. �
It seems like a good book to help a kid think about some things that giftedness means and to understand some choices and their consequences unique to being gifted. �I'm only 1/4 of the way through the book but so far I see a lot of things you might want your son to know. �Cool book! �Might help you address his quiestion in a way.
Maybe someone else has read further than I and can say weither this book would answer a ten yr. old boy's quiestions about his giftedness.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar