Wow, such varying experiences. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by DeeDee
He might choose to use it for comparison against other kids, which simply cannot go well no matter what.
Of course, this is a consideration. However, other children would have to know their own before comparisons could really be made and shoot, had it not been at the school's initiation we probably still wouldn't know wink. That being said, I do have a concern that kids will be kids and mine is no different in that it could come out amongst friends and I agree with you that it wouldn't go well.

Originally Posted by no5no5
Hm. For me, learning my IQ was a very positive thing. I was a bit older than your son, but I really wished I'd known it sooner. If my parents had known it before me and kept it from me, I imagine I'd have been pretty angry about that.

What negative consequences do you expect as a result of having that conversation?
You know, I also wonder if it could be a positive thing for DS to know. Sorta like if he knows what a gift he has, might he be more encouraged to use it - ie. putting forth more effort, acknowledging/discovering/realizing his true capabilities, etc. Of course, then there's always the pendulum swinging the other way... Part of me feels that it's something about and part of *him* so why wouldn't I tell him??

Originally Posted by Clay
My parents told me -- I don't remember how -- but they must have been pretty low key about it (I'm making this up but I can imagine what my dad would have said: "You scored X. That means you're very smart. But what's important is that you be a good person, always do your best, and learn more than is required of you" -- so, de-emphasizing the meaning of the test, and emphasizing what he thought was important.)

This is how I would picture the conversation going. I've used something I saw here (can't recall who said it, but Thanks!) with DS "It's nice to be smart, but it's smart to be nice!"

I'm really hoping he'll forget about wanting to know and then it's a non-issue. smile