Perhaps if he's wanting more information, instead of giving him a specific score, you could say something like, "Well, all the testing that you have done over the years is indicating that you seem to be in the profoundly gifted/exceptionally gifted/highly gifted/gifted range. What this means is . . . . Of course, these scores don't say everything about who you are as a person, and can't be used to say who is better than someone else. Everyone has a talent in one thing or another and these tests just indicate that you are a great learner."

At some point, I think in middle school, I did find out my IQ number because they were restructuring the gifted program and making a hard 130 cutoff, so all of us already in the program had to retest. Several of my friends were not allowed to remain in the program when I was, so that is how it came up. I did find it comforting, really, to know the number because I then always knew, if nothing else, that I was smart enough to do anything I put my mind to. But still, I'm not sure that I would tell my kids "their number" until they were older and had some good reason to need to know.

Last edited by mnmom23; 07/13/10 11:54 AM.

She thought she could, so she did.