Originally Posted by Dandy
Our pow-wow @ the school is scheduled for today -- it ought to be very interesting at least.
This almost belongs in the Ultimate Brag thread because it is just that amazing.

Despite my usual approach of being overly-prepared in advance of the meeting, I was really unsure of how the events would unfold. And I clearly was NOT prepared for where it ended up... and couldn't have reasonably asked for anything more.

As confident as I felt about serving as DS's advocate, I must honestly say that the school system didn't need any arm-twisting *at all* to give DS what he needs. It started with "Tell us what you would like to do," so I'm sure glad I was prepared with plenty of possibilities!

-- -- --

The gist of the plan is that we will select one or two courses for DS to take in 5th grade classroom (to "test-drive the environment") and continue with on-line instruction -- IN CLASS! -- for Math & probably Language Arts. (School to pick up EPGY tab!!)

If things go well for the remainder of the 1st half of the year, he will be allowed to move to 5th full-time, while continuing any on-line work he is doing. The teacher & principal both agreed that the 5th grade is a terrific bunch of kids in every respect -- one of the best groups they've had in awhile.

We all came away with a common understanding that nothing is set in stone, and that flexibility is paramount in finding the best fit for DS.

What an unbelievable relief.

-- -- --

The Gifted Advocacy Page over at Hoagies provided the best collection of articles to help me develop my focus in preparation for the meetings.

It's not only about what *you* want, and being totally comfortable discussing every conceivable ramification of every possibility or combination of possibilities, but it's ALSO about what *they* want, and being comfortable discussing and/or debating everything that the school is (or might be) contemplating -- especially when some of the popular GT Myths enter into the debate.

And in our case -- even though I know EVERYTHING in the WHOLE WORLD about GT -- it was invaluable having someone from the school or district who was able to do some of the "skoolin'" of the admin & teacher(s) on our behalf -- in advance of this meeting and outside of my presence.

-- -- --

I know that execution of the plan is a whole different ball game, but at least having everyone working together (peacefully) is one killer starting point. And DS will undoubtedly benefit greatly no matter what.

Again, many, MANY thanks to all of the fantastic contributors within these virtual walls.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz