Originally Posted by Dandy
He likes the idea of a single or dual subject acceleration (math and/or language), which should provide some add'l challenge to his day. This way, everyone would be able to monitor the "social" aspect of the change without the complete grade skip (which would could be a simple transition later). He suspected -- and I agreed -- that it's easier to reverse a single subject acceleration without any feeling of failure, whereas a full grade skip gone bad would probably attract a little more negative attention.

I've got a BTDT for you!
When DS was in 4th we worked closely with the teacher for lots of inclass differentiation, and the teacher tried really hard, and things did improve...just not enough. So we switched schools for 5th grade and within a month asked for a grade skip. The school tested him and suggested a full grade skip AND additional Math acceleration into 7th grade honor math, which was pre-algebra. I said sure, without any preperation, and one month into the school year.

After 3 months we had to face that the pre-algebra was just too much, and that he was missing out on half of a double session of combined LA/history. DS13s organizational skills are 'age appropriate' at best, and way behind his other strengths. What a mess! So we reversed the subject acceleration, and after a few days of 'comments' from the other kids, it was totally fine.

I say: telescope on your own time at home. I love the idea of subject acceleration because -
1) It give you a chance to see if another full skip is needed
2) It is documented through normal school channels - no chance of 'well, that was an independent project' you need to do grade level math again.
3) If you ask for something doable, it (might) get done.

BTW - the very next year DS took the same pre-algebra class and it was 'too easy' - boy oh boy these kids are hard get exactly right without homeschooling! Still, 'pretty good' is so very much better than 'awful.'

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com