From the 'Lazy thread'

Dandy, i agree that this is a serious problem. 'Learning how to learn' is one of the key benefits of school.

Of course there may also be a connection between DS's unwillingness to do what you ask at home with the situation at school. This means that homeschooling may go more smoothly than you had planned. Of course, reversing underachievement is lots of hard work, and painful. I've been there.

You want to change the teachers. I wish you good luck, but warn you that it can be a huge timewaster. Some teachers can and some can't. Many of the ones that 'can' already 'do.' But there are a few out there who are convertible. Have you looked at what YOU can do to change things? Generally speaking, a person has a lot more control overthemselves than they do over others.

So what, exactly, can you change?
1) you can homeschool
2) you can get him privately assessed to see if you can support his advanced abilities and build a relationship with a profession who is willing to advocate with the school for you to get nescessary accomidation.
3) Repeat every day: Giftedness is a special educational need, which anyone who understood the nature of the problem would want to help fill.
4) If your child is 'moderately gifted' afterschool programs, Saturday enrichment or individual tutoring on the weekend might be enough.
5) Check out the parenting books by Howard Glasser. One of them will fit your home situation. I particularly like Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook: An Interactive Guide to The Nurtured Heart Approach
Also read Sylvia Rimm 'Why Bright Children get Poor Grades.'
6) Start saving now for gifted summer camp

There are more ways to pluck this chicken. Your thread was so powerful, that you threadjacked your own self! I've never seen that happen. I related to it also, and it was very beautifully stated. But that didn't answer your question: what can be done.

Turns out that lots and lots can be done! Have hope! Keep posting about every little thing that is bothering you. We will try harder next time!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com