Originally Posted by Dottie
The idea of telescoping, or compacting is great....the problem comes in the practice. I've never been able to visualize it without major changes for just my child.

This was my first consideration as well -- I really try to think how our requests will affect the classroom & teacher. I would only push (gently) for telescoping if he were using an on-line course in the classroom.

Computers, thankfully, won't be a problem. The schools are so widespread geographically that nearly all the maintenance is done by teachers.

Originally Posted by Breakaway4
So far my tactic has been to try and work with each teacher to get informal accommodations in the classroom. Even so, I don't think they really get the level of work he can do.
Unfortunately, all prior attempts at encouraging informal accommodations have proven fruitless. That is why this year I'm making it a little more formal so as to assign some degree of accountability.

Your last line above -- it really brought out a knowing chuckle... heck, after hearing of the test results so far, I'm convinced that I don't even have a clue as to what he's got going on under the hood. And that is why I finally relented and pushed for the formal IQ & achievement testing, so we all have an objective idea.

Of course it doesn't help that he rushes through the general work they give and puts in very little effort. I am very concerned that he is learning to think that everything will and should be easy.
Your concern is very real. From all the stories people shared here and that I've found elsewhere, there are many who could have benefited greatly from proper challenges in school.

I will be looking to see how you make out in your meeting.

Me too... next week. I saw him before school started to ask about a time and he's still quite busy this week. Oh well -- what's another week, right?

Originally Posted by Grinity
After 3 months we had to face that the pre-algebra was just too much. So we reversed the subject acceleration, and after a few days of 'comments' from the other kids, it was totally fine.
This is just what I was hoping to hear from others. I talked to the previous teacher again today and we both thought that a single-subject acceleration -- into the higher classroom -- made the most sense: easier to implement, and easier to undo -- with less chance of any stigma or embarrassment if it did not work.
----------
I was disappointed to have the meeting bumped, but figured it would really be easier to get together after the formal testing is done this Thursday. Although, I went over my son's homework today -- UGH! I know it's all review being the first week and all... but 20+problems on each concept? And just as much for LA review?

I don't want to start off on the wrong foot, so DS will dutifully complete the assignments this week.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz