Originally Posted by Breakaway4
So many Gifted kids turn out to be underachieving adults for this reason. A great mind is a terrible thing to waste. :-) Why does the educational system insist on doing just that?
I look at today's classroom with 30 kids... one where the teacher already has a split grade (4th/5th) situation... where a handful of kids have ZERO parental support other than maybe getting them to school every day... where the teacher has to worry about all the gov't-mandated curriculum... and the budgets really are slashed... aids are gone... materials are ancient...

And then here I come with my precious little snowflake who won't quite fit in with this (or any) classroom, essentially needing his own specialized curriculum and instruction. And I'm telling the school that he really & truly needs help, even when his grades are fine and he's not a behavioral issue (yet)!

So I'd say I'm quite able to see it from their perspective and it does make sense to me in that context.

But then I put back on my taxpaying parent hat and say, "Hey!" "How about a little more help over here?"

------------

I am so incredibly in awe (jealous?) of those who are able to homeschool their kids. And it definitely seems to be one of the most likely solutions, allowing for a completely customized curriculum.

Our only problem is that one or both of us would wind up buried in the backyard. Just from the little bit of work that we've done together on math, writing and piano, it's clear that for the mental health of this family, homeschooling is a road we must not travel.

Your responses here have been great, helping me to know that I am on the right track. Finally getting my thoughts into writing has helped clarify many aspects of this challenge, hopefully better preparing me for my role as advocate.

Thanks so much!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz