My DS is in the same boat, and what you wrote about the piano totally hits home. He'll put off a new challenging piece because it takes work, and he's never really had to put effort into anything. The thing is, he'll only have to put minimal effort into the piece, maybe just start out playing it slowly instead of trying to attack it full speed, but he wants it to be perfect/easy the first time he plays it.

As for school, we did the grade skip, we added acceleration but he was still sitting reading books at his desk most of the day. The school just wasn't working for us, so I quit my job and pulled him out mid-year to start cyberschooling, something I never imagined myself doing. We battled the first 2 months, and when I asked him if he behaved this way in school to his teacher his reply was "No, things weren't this difficult in school". So, he's being more challenged but I'm taking the brunt of his frustrations of having to actually put in some effort and work.

Outside of school, I'd definitely say he's a lazy kid. When he wants a new Lego, we'll tell him he needs to earn $ by doing chores. His reply will usually be that he'll ask for it for his birthday or Christmas. It's difficult because many times I'm wondering if he's resisting his schoolwork because it's hard or because he's being lazy?

I think we're taking a walk in the same park!