Our kids go to a normal school and sit around doing essentially nothing, so why is it automatically the same as the hothoused kids if we decide it's good for them to get a fraction of the same experience as a normal child gets? Why do our kids get thrown under the bus? Very few of our children get anywhere close to appropriate schooling during school time and have to get it afterschool, so why is it OK for most kids to do appropriate work, but not OK for ours?

I understand what you're getting at, but I'll answer for me. My kids do not get enough at school (this is a lot more true for one than the other at present) but they still have to go to school all darn day. One child has a lot of homework, too. I don't think enough is being asked of them in terms of difficulty, but I just don't have it in me to ask them to formally afterschool. If they really wanted to, that might be different. I have done a bit of formal stuff over the summer at times. That's a different ballgame because time is much more abundant. During the year...they need time to do other nonschool things. They do both read voraciously.

I know they could be learning more math, in particular, so it bothers me sometimes, especially when I see what some of you are doing. Math does not appear to be their passion, though, although they are both good at it. Anyway, I try to seek out challenge and experiences that push them in other areas. With one child chess has been the answer. The other one has been harder, but her school experience is more difficult, so it's not as much of a need.