Originally Posted by MichelleC
So many great comments, and I’m nodding and saying yes, that, yes, all the way through. And yet, I am still deep in the vacillating second-guessing zone, and pondering the strong message on the thread begun by greenlotus that if the kid didn’t ask for it and doesn’t want to do it, it’s hothousing.

Well, since my name came up, I will make a comment. I have also agonized whether I was "hothousing". There were some pretty strong comments about my daughter's after school math class (which made me want to duck and cover) when I asked if she should continue or not. I have thought even more about after school classes since I posted the question. DD initially wanted this pre algebra math class but later did not want it. We had her continue because we felt she should stick with something she signed up for. But, after all the posts, we decided a compromise was in order. She wants more challenging math next year in middle school but doesn't like this particular math class so she agreed to take an assessment and use Khan Academy to help fill in the gaps before she takes the SSA test. Also, we use the summer to take classes that both DD's choose. I will say, like some others, that if a school did its job correctly, many of us wouldn't be micromanaging his/her child's schooling.
Another thing - I don't know what schools everyone is discussing, but I went back to grad school in the last few years and found it challenging/enlightening/supportive. Perhaps it's just undergrad that is so awful? My undergrad was very hands on but that was long ago.