Originally Posted by Wesupportgifted
There are some families (too many as far as we are concerned) that have the (female) parent working everyday in some capacity at the same school and in the same building as one or more of their children's classes.
As I understand it, Wesupportgifted is talking about school volunteers.
Our elementaries do rely on a lot of parent volunteers, both in and out of the classroom. Most families do not volunteer every day, but many have 2 or more weekly roles such as math helper or library reshelving plus room parent, staff appreciation coordinator, etc. Without these volunteers, we couldn't afford the staff to run the school at the level we want.

It is possible, of course, that a volunteer asked for a particular classroom for their child and got it far in advance even though this was against policy. It's also possible that the child was mistaken, or that another policy was in play - at some schools, a child will automatically go to the same teacher that their older sibling had unless the parents request otherwise. I agree that it's best for kids to separate from parents and put up with imperfect classrooms, but we aren't always aware of all the issues - a child who is socially immature for age, or whose parent is dying, or has other severe stresses, may need to be sheltered for an extra year or two. If the staff is responsible, other families won't know who those students are.

Which is all to say: it's hard to identify the hothousing parent from the outside. To me, the distinction between 'concerned' and 'hothousing' is in the motivation - the well-being of the child vs. status or appearances.