Oh no ... this thread has got me thinking (and has gotten me nervous). My son has an anxiety disorder diagnosis. Personally, I adamantly believe that my DS does not truly have anxiety to constitute a disorder.. I believe all he really needs is to have his writing accommodations in place (scribing, etc.) and not be shamed for his writing disability (last year a horrible para shaming him and as well as his disability not being accommodated for led to a lot of acting out, frustration and anxiety that got him the anxiety diagnosis. However, the diagnosis is quite useful so I use it to get things like an IEP to have more power to enforce the writing accommodations and such.

Anyway, so they throw in these vague goals for anxiety in the iep and put DS in social skills group. Ds thinks social skills group is fun so I am okay with it even though I think it's pretty useless and unnecessary. I usually go right along with the vague anxiety goals as I see them as just bullcrap and they don't hurt. For me, the iep is really all about getting his handwriting accommodations for his writing disability

As many of you know we have been struggling with iep writing accommodations. Well, recently in the midst of that struggle, I get notified that they need a "baseline" for the "anxiety goals," which by the way they made a little more specific this time around. I am (was) fine with that but very curious as to how they are going to establish a "baseline" for the anxiety goals. I questioned that and there has been pretty much been radio silence. They don't want to put anything in writing to me anymore b/c of the fighting we are doing over the writing accommodations so they plan on telling me at a meeting we are setting up. .

Is it possible that they will try to do a FBA to get a baseline? I will absolutely not consent to that. I don't want those morons who do not understand the effects of a neuromuscular disability analyzing my son's behavior! Sorry to hijack!

Last edited by marytheres; 03/22/13 01:28 PM.