ok, so I know it's home and she's more comfortable and blah blah blah, but...

DD started working on today's classwork around 9am. I gave her some time limits for a few activities and she easily completed each item, mostly in far less time than I guessed the teacher would have alloted. I know also there are things like short recesses and periods of time that would normally involve some time wasted by changing seats, waiting for others, etc. The assignment that was group work, she and I discussed together for maybe 10 minutes (deciphering the meaning of proverbs) then she completed the writing in about 4 minutes...mind you, this is a kid who has previously refused to write on many occasions and it was like meltdown territory...I even gave her 20 minutes to just read and some breaks between different kinds of work. We spent 10 minutes watching You tube videos of how the sun moves across the sky...she even already did tonight's homework. The only thing she has left is to "write" her spelling words on the computer in different fonts, colors, etc like in Geronimo Stilton...we were done in 2 HOURS! Oh, she also made a thank you card and an apology card in that time and now we have started the laundry.
Other than recess and lunch, and maybe the more appropriate video the teacher would have shown for science, can someone tell me WHAT THE HECK my kid is doing for the other 6 hours of the day?!?!?!
I put sticky note with feedback on some of the assignments to let the teacher know just how well Butter can do in the right environment...I'm sure they will just look at that and attribute it to her being at home, but that is the point, I guess, CHANGE OF ENVIRONMENT!
I also treated her to a bagel this morning, AFTER we dropped off The Diva and promised her we could go to the library this afternoon. No screen time during what would be regular school hours though, of course. She is very happy today. And I am too.

Additionally, since the charachter development exercise used the word respect and had a definition, I asked Butter if she respected Mrs W. "No, not really." She can't really tell me why, so I ask if she thinks Mrs W respects her? "No"...I ask "Do you trust her? If you had a problem you didn't want to take to me about, do you think you could go to Mrs W?" She says "No". No also to her counselor, but yes to Ms V, the school psychologist. I even asked if she thought she could go to last year's teacher and she still said no. That is sad. A kid should be able to trust and respect their teacher and feel respected and like a part of the classroom. Sadly, my child appears not to.

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...