Thank you, all!! I appreciate your feedback! I will certainly mention those tests, Trinity, that you have suggested and will discusee them with our tester.

And, Kriston, you bring up some really good points about Montessori programs. I am really leaning towards not even trying it again. I think our particular school is very similar to what you are describing. DS was asked to join the kindergarteners a year early on the first day of school. However, I was informed that even if he did all the work acceptably, this year would not actually "count" as kindergarten. I was completely appalled by this but did not voice my feelings, because I felt that surely they would allow him to start the lower elementary program after they saw what he could do in kindergarten. But...now I'm not so sure. I even felt a bit of resistance from the head master when I discussed DS's results with her the other day. She reminded me that starting first grade a year early should not only be based upon academic ability, but social development, as well, blahblahbalbhalbh. You know the rest. smile And thank you for your insights regarding perhaps skipping first grade. I have not thought about it that way. You make some very good arguments. I will definitely have to check out our local system.

Incog, I think a half day of K would be pretty fabulous. Unfortunately, around here, it's a full day for the little guys. I've heard that this school district is typically more "advanced" than the rest of the city. But that's just the local rumor. I need to investigate and see for myself what is actually happening. And I really appreciate your advice to be flexbile! I guess we are learning early how important that is! I really never expected to withdraw him from school. It's interesting, though. Even my extended family is noticing a difference in him. He just seems happier.

I do have a few more questions for you guys.

1. What are your thoughts about a 140 on the SB-V? I'd love some perspective, particularly on the 140 - 150 range. I know we hit several 19's. I don't know exactly how many, because our tester has not put together a full review. This was just a quick score at the end of the session. (By the way - an interesting note
: our tester initially said it would take about 1.5 hours to test. We ended up spending almost 5 hours over 2 days because DS kept moving up a level and having to go thrugh the subtests again. I KNOW he was tired/uninterested/bored at times. That's a long time for a four year old to sit still and test. We did have at least 3 or 4 five minute breaks each session, though.)

2.How reliable/valid do you think it is for a 4 year old?

This is all very new to me. This was the test she recommended, so I just went with it. Especially since we are having several assessments done.

I think his lowest score was in the "knowledge" section. Which is very interesting, I guess, and somewhat encouraging/scary depending on how you look at it. If he hit 19's on some of the test ( I believe "routing" is one of the major ones?) then one would expect the score to go up, because knowledge should increase with age. However, logical sequencing/patterning/routing should stay the same. She encouraged me to bring him back in 6 to 12 months, after we have time to exlore home schooling, and redo the SB-V.

Do you think this is a good idea? Should we go for those extra 5 points to hit the 99.9th? Especially if she is ranging him at 140 to 150? And am I even interpreting this correctly? I'm just starting to understand how one test cetainly does NOT give the big picture.

I guess I'm still not exactly sure what the DYS program is all about. I do know that one must have a 145 to even apply, and that five years is the youngest age eligible.

OK. I know I'm rambling a bit. Sorry! It's late, my DD baby still isn't sleeping through the night, and I'm feeling this incredibly huge responsibility not to fail my son. I know you guys understand.

Again, I am so very grateful for your advice.

Thank you!!

Allison