Pemberley is spot-on. In the past 15 years our district has twice lost cases in court over special ed services (that I know of). When things were at their ugliest for us, we found the lawyer who won those cases and got her advice (which she gave pro bono in the initial consultation).

We never had to go to due process, but knowing that she had succeeded against this district in the past was very empowering. It *is* important to choose a lawyer who knows the players and the history locally, because that person will be much more able to negotiate for you.

Since then we have just used an educational advocate (not a lawyer), who negotiates in advance of IEP meetings, rendering the meetings themselves smooth and pleasant. She is worth what we pay her.

I'm glad your situation is developing... I hope the week goes well for you. Keep breathing.

DeeDee

ETA: if you can't find information on the internet, work the special ed grapevine. There should be other people around who have been through similar things, and remember what lawyers are good there.

Last edited by DeeDee; 04/21/13 02:07 PM.