Originally Posted by epoh
Irena - If this was me, I would be keeping my child at home until the communication issue was resolved. Again, to me this is a matter of safety and trust. If I cannot communicate to the person who is physically in custody of my child for 6+ hours a day, I am not leaving them with that person. I cannot have a trusting relationship with someone I cannot communicate with, and I am not leaving my young child with someone I cannot trust.

This whole situation is INSANE.

I agree.

I'd also bring up-- in your IEP meeting-- that your physician feels it is DANGEROUS to have this "barrier to clear and effective communication" with the classroom teacher.

The reason? You must have the opportunity to discuss/confer regarding risks to your child's safety. (Epipen? Holy COW, I cannot even wrap my head around them wanting to LIMIT contact between parent and teachers here.)

YOU recognize risks that a teacher doesn't/can't-- if you can't ask about upcoming class events, how are either of you supposed to manage this risk effectively?? I'd make it clear, also in writing, about the earlier incident in which the 'team' failed to keep your child's emergency medication available, too. You have little reason to trust that they can keep your child safe without your input on a regular basis. If they want to run all of that past their attorneys-- let 'em. I suspect that an attorney who learns of THAT chain of events is going to go ballistic over the risks that they are CHOOSING to impose on the district here in terms of liability.

This administrator needs to be made painfully aware that s/he is setting up an environment conducive to a fatality. Use THOSE specific words, be pleasant while you say them (though obviously concerned) and get your ducks in line for withholding attendance-- that is, have your physician's backing here. I'd get that today, before sending any documentation.

Let me know if you want ANYTHING edited here for privacy. BTDT a number of times with other parents over the years. I've seen ugly like this before, I'm sorry to say. Let me also add that once a situation gets to this point... you can WIN, but remember that sometimes even when you win, you still lose. Er-- or your child does.

I'm not saying that I think you should accept this situation, which is completely untenable, IMO; but that you should have a plan B and plan C in your back pocket.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.