Just wanted to offer my perspective on scribing paras versus behavioral paras. Does your kid get in-class work scribing for all subjects (I am guessing so (or hoping so) or just scribing for test work ? The scribing paras for tests is pretty common. In-class scribing paras (especially paras who need to follow the child from homeroom to specials and scribe for them at specials) tend to get expensive really soon.

How are the other parents in your kid's class ? Where I live, I can actually see some grousing if a child consistently got a scribe for in-class work. For example, if the kid came up with a sentence, "This is a recyclable project" , it is quite possible that the kid with the scribe may write/spell it better than a kid without a scribe (with no disabilities). So, I can see the point (however, horrible and unfair) that teachers may think that your kid has an "advantage" over other kids. I really hope that is not what your kid's teacher (and the school administration) is thinking. The cost is, of course, another factor. It seems (to me) that it is more expensive to have a scribing (dedicated, one on one) para versus a behavior para (who can be sort of allocated over 2-3 kids).

Of course, if your school administration does think this way, especially for a kid who has a documented disability, they are way, way out of line. I would actually try and go in a very pleasant manner, and let them talk (as much as they want) and sort of ask them theoretical leading questions and see what they think. I would also totally record the meeting and make sure that they know (in advance), so they could also record it (if they choose)

My kid seems pencil-phobic, and I wonder if he has some sort of underlying thing going on. However, when he decides to write or color, he produces the most amazing work. I am not sure if it is physical maturity (he is 5) or whether his hand actually hurts (as he keeps complaining after writing about 4 sentences)

It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that the principal and teacher have decided that it is the principal's job to explain a worksheet. Just childish and unprofessional, IMO!

This is beyond ridiculous, especially since the principal does not seem to have a clue about the reading worksheet.