Originally Posted by Beckee
If a public school looked at a IQ 2 points higher than mentally retarded in this day and age and declared that student was not eligible because they didn't meet the cutoff, it would be in a world of trouble with state and federal law. For one thing, 2 points on a standard scale is a very small difference that might disappear if you happened to take the test on a different day. For another thing, they'd need to do another test whose name eludes me at the moment. I think it's called a Functional Assessment--the Vineland is one example.

I can only monetize I.Q.'s of 70 or under. And trust me, that's a hard cutoff under Social Security's disability regulations:

"12.05 Mental retardation: Mental retardation refers to significantly subaverage general intellectual functioning with deficits in adaptive functioning initially manifested during the developmental period; i.e., the evidence demonstrates or supports onset of the impairment before age 22.

The required level of severity for this disorder is met when the requirements in A, B, C, or D are satisfied.

A. Mental incapacity evidenced by dependence upon others for personal needs (e.g., toileting, eating, dressing, or bathing) and inability to follow directions, such that the use of standardized measures of intellectual functioning is precluded;

OR

B. A valid verbal, performance, or full scale IQ of 59 or less;

OR

C. A valid verbal, performance, or full scale IQ of 60 through 70 and a physical or other mental impairment imposing an additional and significant work-related limitation of function;"