Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
...Putting energy into finding people you can connect with would also help. Most adults don't join clubs based on IQ - they meet around shared interests...
I'm resurrecting your old thread a bit b/c I've thought about this comment off and on.

If this is too much of a derail, I'll start a new thread smile !

I believe that a lot of people with expertise in giftedness in children assert that it is important for gifted children to have intellectual peers. That is part of the argument for tracking gifted kids with other gifted kids in schools; it isn't all about academics.

I am wondering, then, why having intellectual peers would no longer be important when we are adults? I do agree that we don't necessarily have similar political, religious, or parenting beliefs just b/c we are all gifted. We also don't necessarily have similar hobbies, etc. However, I have found that I sometimes mesh better with other adults, regardless of age, who are fairly highly intelligent. Of course, I do have people I adore who are not brilliant, but I do find value in like minds based on brain wiring as well (which is how I see high intelligence -- different wiring).

Of course, as a Mensa member, I may be more sensitive to comments about adults not joining clubs based on IQ wink . Mensa has over 50,000 members in the US, so some of us have obviously found something other than bragging rights from joining. Most of my acquaintances, co-workers, etc. aren't aware that I'm a member, though. I don't go around wearing Mensa logo attire.