My 13-year-old son has mild hypotonia and fingers that bend way back. I wondered if he had EDS when he was diagnosed with scoliosis but he does not have hypermobility in all of his joints. Nobody else has this in my family.

I think he could probably crochet for about five minutes if I taught him how to do it. After five minutes, just like with handwriting, I am sure his hands would hurt and it wouldn't be any fun. Not having that stiffness in his top finger joints makes it harder for him to hold on to things and he tries to compensate by holding on tighter but it doesn't work for very long. Cutting steak with fingers that bend back like rubber is especially difficult. The physical therapist told him to try squeeze balls to strengthen muscles but I don't see how that could possibly fix the problem.

My son doesn't think it is worth learning to do something when he can only do it for five minutes without pain. He thinks it is a better use of his time to do things where there is a chance he can do it well.