again, thanks to all, quite a sprited debate with lots of great info.
sciencemania, i have to admit i have been using ODD to describe my DD5 but she does not have that diagnosis. She is not six years old and i've read that the diagnoiss is not made until then. I think its a pattern that she has fallen into over the past two years at home and school. At school they found out early on she did "tricks" like reading at 3. She hated that.. and to make her continue they started using "reverse psychology" which they thought was a great idea, but was really teaching her about the powers of manipulating people. We are trying to undo a lot of this, and don't feel she will have a true ODD if we take drastic action now (hence NHA). The pyschologist who we saw at the time of her gifted testing did give her a diagnosis of "adjustment disorder", but he said it was because he felt there was something going on that needed to be addressed, evidenced by underachivement.. her achievement tests were over 3 SDS lower than aptitude.

so i am really hopeful and tomorrow will finish reading EC and then start mapping out a plan that will hopefully be good for all. I just hope and pray the therapist will support me trying to do all of this and not be too rigid about how we go about it.
irene