hey everyone
i got the therapists version of the Explosive Child (called Treating the explosive child) and i can say that if i was only doing this for my DS7 (2e, bigtime exectutive control issues) then it might really be THE method for us. I doubt very often that he CAN do the things we expect, at this point.. However, i can't fit my DD5 easily into the Explosive Child paradigm-- that explosive behavior is caused by an underlying cognitive issue. I think i can stretch her into it if i had to, by thinking of her cogniitve power (very HG) as a disability, but it is a stretch, and makes somethign positive into a negative.

However, if i had to merge the two methods (EC and NHA) i think i might be able to do it. I like the other basic notion in EC that the misbehavior is a result of a sort of mis-match between parent and child..and I am hoping i can use methods from the Nurtured Heart Approach as part of bridging the mismatch between myself and my daughter. In other words, I think Explosive CHild is more of a framework that can be used wiht a lot of kids, and Nurtured Heart Approach is more of a specific strategy for a specific type of child (intense, gifted, hooked on "energy"). Though i might be oversimplifying it now as i haven't finished the book.. Grinity, what do you think?

irene