I just though I'd share my story to offer another possible alternative. We ended up approaching the school with a compromise. We all agreed that they couldn't meet my DD9's educational needs in the elementary school setting for most subjects, but needed that help with social skills, pragmatics, inferences, you know the drilll. We wrote an IEP for a partial day. She (an Aspie as well) attends PS in the morning for speech therapy, social work, and ELA to work more on pragmatics and inferences. She is way ahead in reading so they make some accomodations within the classroom for that. She homeschools all her other subjects and attends a YMCA homeschool gym and swim program. She participates with Girl Scouts.

Everyone, literally eveyone who has regular contact with her has noticed a significant positive change in her over the last year. This compromise allows her to move ahead in her subject material at her pace, and to pursue her passion in science, while getting the help and support she needs. When I first appoached the school they weren't willing to do anything. We then had all her testing done by the school to back up our independent evaluation and involved an advocate from ARC. The school seemed to suddenly realize what they "could" do once the advocate was involved and have been very accomodating. I give the local principal much credit in our success once he saw the problem and understood it.

I have to run kids today but if you want to talk more PM me.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader