dagobbz,
I've seen this exclusionary approach in action and I do not think it helps children with Aspeger's or with ADHD. My older Aspie son really beats himself up when he realizes he did something wrong. If there is a punishment like that on the horizon, he spirals negatively until he can't pull himself out for a good 1/2 hour. The school tried it with him, and I stepped in and explained that the severity of the punishment has to be on par with the severity of the crime. Being put in the Principal's office works fairly well for him, because he talks about what he did with the Principal and Special Ed teacher and he calms down away from stimulus all at the same time.

I do not HS, so I have to be a warrior mom a lot. Still, I think it is doing a lot for my DS7 to be exposed to situations that are hard. He has the special ed teacher, me, and hopefully, next year will have a 1:1 aid. All of this helps him learn how to behave as he hits triggers. He also internalizes the triggers, doesn't react as much to certain ones, etc. So, I am definitely happy with the results.