Thanks MinnieM - great passage to share especially as my little one is often so defiant. Since Montessori they told me " he seems to see adults as someone that will come along and ruin his fun/fight with him/stop him being himself" - instead of helpers. Still working on getting over that - and school in general doesn't seem to help.

BronxMom - didn't your son just have surgery though? I may have missed the news on another post - but if he did, I would thik he would need tons of time to recover and get back to normal, and he had that bad infection which has probably worn him out too.

I see a difference in DS6 after just 3-10 days at home with no school v. school days - when he is worn out and then "homework" or evening "homeschool" for enrichment is hard. Last week he started yelling that he watnd to finish his spelling. I told him I was sure he was too tired, could see he would - and once he yelled I said I wouldn't continue when he was in such a state - but I kept calm myself. Makes it worse if you get angry too. He tantrumed and cried and went to time out - and then I gave him a braek whilst I took my shower. Then he calmed down and wanted to complete it - but it made me realise that his mood needs to be taken into account before we start. Schools wears him out.

Hang in there. Maybe if you don't "try" it will get easier. Is he still in school?