I totally agree with Dazey. You can't tell anything from a day, especially not when both of you are so raw.

Fun. Nothing but fun.

Fun doesn't mean no learning. Fun just means no teaching. That's the simplest way I can explain that.

Go on walks. Talk about what he likes to do. Read silly poems and stories for fun. Draw pictures together. Play board games. Build with Legos.

Fun.

Forget trying to teach him. Right now, you're the student and your job is to learn about your child. How does he learn? What excites him? (And how can you do more of this?) What doesn't work at all? (And how can you do less of this?)

His job is simply to relax and be himself again. Nothing more than that. You should be the one doing all the work. His psyche is in an invisible cast!

Don't worry about his not coming back to learning. Forever is a long time away! I promise you that if it comes to that, you can corral him back.

But I'll bet you money that you won't have to. Let him find himself again, and then when he's healed, you can ask "What do you want to learn this year?" I'll bet you he'll have an answer. You may have to tweak it a bit, but if you follow his lead, he'll get into it. All kids--but especially GT ones--are born learners.

But not while he's so bruised and broken.

Read the Rivero book. It's really useful.

And remember that for every minute a child spends on weaknesses, he should spend 3 or more minutes of school time on things he's good at. I recommend making "Do something you love every day" a requirement for your son. That was the best thing I did our first year of homeschooling. It reminded both of us that life should be fun, and it kept us from making everything else a higher priority.

If you're crying, you're doing it wrong. Relax. It will get better.

{{{{Hugs!}}}}

Kriston