You really can't keep him out for a day and test things out. He is too emotionally charged for it right now. He will need some time to bounce back emotionally. I say let him coast. He has his whole life ahead of him. Line up some good videos he might like. IF he's into science, get some NOVA science shows. Watch them together and discuss them...not quizzing just discussing. We love watching cooking shows together on the Food Network or Cash Cab! In the First Year of Home schooling book I'm reading by Linda Dobson (highly recommend) she says you have to basically learn to enjoy being with your child again and vice versa. Not much learning is going to happen until that happens. I had to do that w/ my own son in January. We dropped most of our HSing for the month of Jan and Feb and March. We're now just getting going again but we needed to find the fun and just enjoy being together.

Did you post in another thread that you've decided to HS? Do you want him to finish out the year or are you still on the fence?