Originally Posted by incogneato
One interesting thought too though is that most religions/belief systems that do regard the Bible as their authority share that fact with others (call that witnessing/evengelism or whatever) because the Bible itself tells them to. It is a practice of their faith that they concider to be a loving gesture. I don't see anything wrong with being tolerant of that too.

While I respect your point, I think you'll find the general consensus is that the community of posters here are not here to be evangelized too. I'm sure there are wonderful and engaging forums where that is respected and appreciated.

When one persists in witnessing to another who has expressed that it is not their desire to be accepting of it, it ceases to be a loving gesture and indeed beomes a force of one's will and indeed, I could assert one is then placing one's will above God's will. smile

You are indeed a lovely person, I enjoy your posts and look forward to your contributions to this community. Respecting the spiritual/lack there of(Love ya Cathy wink) diversity of this community, I'd like to ask you to share your self and experiences without evangelizing. We're all pretty great adults who are capable of finding our own way. smile

Dissenting opinions welcome:

Well, I do think there is a slight flaw in assuming that God's will changes based on what a human wants or doesn't want. They can choose what they want it doesn't mean that God will now want that for them as well.
That said. Your point has some validity to it, yet seems quite unneccessary. I don't think anyone is forcefully willing anything on anyone. Let's remember the original question:

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Hi - I need a little help. I looked at DS4's preschool newsletter a bit late to find that they would be discussing God and prayer today in class. (He's at a preschool in a church, but it's designed as a not-really-very-religious preschool, so last year we didn't get into this very much at all.) Anyway, I scrambled to give him a sense of what I thought about god, and I found myself talking about The Force from Star Wars. Yikes. So, I am looking for some good books that are sort of intro to religion or just general spiritual or be kind to others sort of stuff. Anything's got to be better than a discussion of Obi Wan Kenobe...Anyone? (On the way in to class, DS said, "I bet Mrs. Teacher knows more about God than you do." I replied that I was sure she knew more about how to teach 4 yos about it, and I only told him a little bit about what I know. But i was laughing on the inside at his snide remark!)

As a background, I was raised very Catholic and got turned off my all churches in my teens and haven't gone back. DH was raised without any strong religion. DS4 has not ever attended a mass or anything (though he's been inside a few churches to check out the architecture.)

I apologize if this isn't related to gifted kids, but I'm thinking it sort of is, because he understands things a bit earlier, and he usually wants the facts about stuff, so this is tricksy. Thanks!

Those of us that answered believed that it DID indeed pertain to gifted kids because of all that they go through early on.

This question started a lot of input of different resources, study ideas, how to discuss with a young one, etc. All contributers gave something they think is valuable and has probably helped them. So, they wanted to share. That is all whitnessing is.
Do you see what I'm saying? It is simply sharing a resource. Whether it be eternal life through Christ or an earthly materialist religion that Jane Doe has chosen... if you share about it you are whitnessing.

So, for us to all be kind and tolerant to everyone here about every book that was offered up, every class, every religion, every view, every whitness, and then to single out someone that suggested the Bible -because of it's huge effect on the world, the fact that the kid mentioned will be greatly exposed to it, that a knowledge base from mom would be helpful, and it is something they've found valuable- is, frankly intolerant, and, okay.... I'll say it... rude.

I'm sorry. I'm not really offended because this is so common in our culture. I hope I don't sound upset because I really am not... and I know you guys mean the best for each other... but it had to be said. I think calling what you all do "advice" and then saying that talking about the Bible is forcing ones will on others is quite a double standard. I know no one realized that... I'm not blaming anyone... I just think we should all be aware.
To suggest that someone with THAT advice specifically should go talk about it somewhere else is intollerant. Not to mention no one here ever said they didn't like the idea of reading the Bible to get some ideas on spirituality and really didn't want to hear that idea. So I don't think that's really applicable either.

Obviously each of us here feels that our advice/idea was good or we wouldn't have shared. I think we can all enjoy ALL of the other comments still. Seems pretty simple to me. Should be a non-issue. We all simple answered the question how we saw best. I think that's all St. Paulie Girl wanted. (and it's all our respective gods or selves probably wanted too :-)