Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Thanks Jen. As I'm reading everyone's responses, I guess I'm asking for something that doesn't exist. smile (Can't someone just give me the manual for how to raise a kind, thoughtful and loving child?) wink

As the pre-school likely believes, there IS a manual for how to raise a kind, thoughtful, and loving child. The Bible! :-)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that (especially since the pre-school is probably christian/bible based) it would probably be a good idea to read the Bible and decide what you believe about it, and explore what spirituality you have for yourself and then have a transparent ON GOING conversation with your son. Since you've had bad experiences with church and organized religion it may be helpful to just read the Bible without any church directing your thoughts on it or any study-group leading it. Commentaries or books may be nice but not neccessary I don't think. Just read and and see. If you believe in prayer (or even if you're not sure) try that too and see what comes of it. Let your son know you're exploring all that too and you can explore it together. Of course, with respect to others' beliefs.

I say explore the Bible for a few reasons, 1) It's the most well known and most sold religious book and what you believe about IT shapes a LOT about what you believe about lots of religions. And since it claims to be God Himself writing (through the hands of many), rather than just about God, what you believe about that makes a big difference in your spirituality. 2) It is probably what your sons pre-school is basing their spiritual teachings on so it would give you common ground about what he's learning at school. 3) It is pretty comprehensive and has an explaination for just about everything from the origin of mankind, money management, how to treat your friends and family, etc.. etc.. 4) I've read it cover to cover and nothing has shaped my understanding of God and others more than that!

Another really good book is "So what's the difference?" it's a book about the most prominant world religions but the COOLEST thing about it is that it does a compare and contrast for each one! So, not only do you get a full synopsis of the worlds most widespread beliefs but you get a layout of how they're different from eachother, where those differences came from, how they're similar and how they were founded. It's a fascinating book!

There is also a lot out there by a guy named Josh McDowell and onother named Lee Strobel. Both adress the Bible, Faith, and Creation from a sceptics perspective. They focus on evidence and compare a lot of different views to eachother. They are excellent. (Both started out as athiests too and after searching out evidence against God found a faith).

I agree that this does effect gifted children a little differently too. They explore depth more and earlier. It's fascinating! Everything's different with them!