I stand by my suggestion too. I think to imply that the Bible has only minor cultural value with an example like the Chronicles of Narnia and stuff is a vast understantment.
To share a depth of knowledge with our gifted kids it is important to realize certain huge things like the Bible are far more influential than that.
Chronicles of Narnia was written in England. The U.S. culture, however, is influenced by the Bible in ways that are so far reaching: the Constitution was based on it (it was used as a working document in the constitutional convention, verses are all over our monuments, the list goes on forever. Many other religions hold a root with Biblical people or the Bible itself. Latter Day Saints include the Bible in their doctrine, Islam traces their fathers back to Abraham of Genesis just like Jews and Christians do.
For a gifted child who thinks about what he's taught at school and at home on very deep levels and will have a lifetime of doing so, I firmly believe a thorough knowledge of the Bible... the most influential book of all time is priceless.

One interesting thought too though is that most religions/belief systems that do regard the Bible as their authority share that fact with others (call that witnessing/evengelism or whatever) because the Bible itself tells them to. It is a practice of their faith that they concider to be a loving gesture. I don't see anything wrong with being tolerant of that too.

It is great that all can talk freely on both sides. I respect everyone here for discussin this so openly and honestly without getting nasty or rude. It is a great freedom in this country to be able to do so! Very helpful to because our children, especially the gifted ones :-) wrestle with this stuff a lot! What's a mom to do if we can't get on here and talk it out!