Originally Posted by Kriston
Originally Posted by CAMom
I think sometimes the best thing to stick to in these situations is a "What do you think?" and see where it goes from there. We're also very careful to say "Mommy and Daddy believe... but... others think... and you can make up your own mind."

I agree wholeheartedly. And if you can expose them to the beliefs of others beyond Christianity, so much the better!

I think it pays to remember that Christians are in the minority in the world. While it is important to understand Christianity in order to be culturally literate in the U.S., there are other options available. And there are plenty of good, moral people who aren't religious at all.

Yes - what Kriston said, as usual (and CA mom too). We are UU. And that's exactly how we phrase everything to DS and DD - this is what we think, this is what others think, you're free to develop your own brand of spirituality. That you can draw wisdom and inspiration from many sources. DS knows about as many stories about Buddha as Jesus. I think especially for GT kids that are thinking hard about this at very young ages, it's important to know where you as a parent stand! I remember being thrown for a loop when DS had about 6 months when he was approaching 5 where he had so many hard, hard questions about the universe and death. Now his sister is starting. crazy It is feeling easier the 2nd time! I have my answers down.