Wow, lots of interesting discussion. My thoughts are that it is good to figure out what your thoughts and beliefs are first, and then have a discussion. If you don't know answers that they have...then look into it. And chances are some things will be difficult to explain. Christianity is important to us, I teach at our church (well more like sing since it's 6mo olds to 17 month olds) and DS goes to class. He often has cute little kid questions (like when he whispers he wonders if God can hear him). But some questions are harder to explain answers to. I do my best...but how do you explain to a child (or an adult) how God can be everywhere or do anything...or why he doesn't do some things. It's a challenge but it is fun. Often times when you are a part of a religion, morals and values come along with it and there is a lot of character building in classes at church. I also agree with some of the other posters about reading the Bible without other people giving their interpretations. Also if you want to teach bible stories and character building, etc. you can get little kids books. We have a few, someone just gave us a book called "3 minute bible stories" it seems pretty good. There are tons of great books out there.

But, that being said....there are other ways to do character building and raise a child with great values and morals unrelated to religion. So even before having any specific belief system you can teach the whole "treat others how you want to be treated" Although it is a Christian principle...it is fairly accepted belief among most people regardless of faith.