I have been slightly beating myself up for not truly understanding the purpose of the camp. My bad. I thought it was going to be a situation where the kids would put their leadership skills to the test, not a situation where one group was in training to teach another group how to lead. Maybe if my child would have been in the leading/training group she would have been successful :-) But as a "trainee" she was an epic fail.

One reason I did sign her up was because she does need to learn to work together better. She is pretty good at getting the job done and having others follow her, usually through some kind of democratic process. And she is also a pretty good follower IF there is a strong leader. The problems come when the leader isn't strong and she tries to right the situation by taking over (not always a welcome thing!)

I have always said she will be a great leader, however it remains to be seen if it will be a dictatorship or a democracy. I would prefer the latter....

Again, if nothing else, this whole episode reminds me that we still have work to do about how we go about communicating our displeasure over something. How we can not let a set back dominate our lives, but rather how we need to learn from it and build character in the process. I would like to not have to learn this lesson anymore, but I fear it will be a lifelong one for dd.