Originally Posted by Labmom
She wants to work on being able to remove herself from future situations in a more positive manner, as she realizes her behavior was not the best choice and did not give her a chance to recover without feeling embarrassed (her words not mine). Maybe we can all learn something from this...

That seems positive. It sounds like she is able to reflect and identify areas she could improve--when she's not overwhelmed. smile

Originally Posted by Labmom
we feel like we make try to make the best decisions for our kids, but every now and then one wonders when being the rescuer does more harm than good. My hubby reminded me that she is only 12, and that rescuing is still OK :-).

Yup, 12 is young. It sounds like your conversation was productive--there is good in that, too. It doesn't have to be framed as "rescuing," anyhow. You could just think of it as picking up DD at a camp because she was unable to cope and you couldn't be sure it was a healthy environment for her in this stage of her development. At 12, I'd also be inclined to err on the side of caution. Kids have unique needs, no one-size-fits-all approach.

As an aside, my DD11 is in a Girl Scout troop that provides a lot of opportunities for developing relationship and leadership skills. Something like that might be a bit more organic. She's loved it and it has helped her become a social activist.