Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Organically learning... do you mean people somehow just figure out how to be good leaders by trial and error? I would submit that that isn't necessarily so.

Well - I suppose I mean something more like observation and opportunity, rather than trial and error. As we grow, we all observe good leaders. Then, opportunities rise, and a person may be assigned a leadership role or step into one that's unfilled. They emulate what they've seen, they add their own spin, see how it works, and maybe modify the next time.

But honestly, I think there is some IQ analog for leadership (and those other soft things). A person has a certain capacity for it, and it will develop if they are given opportunity. Absent the capacity, it's just not going to happen, no matter what artifices are applied.

Caveat - I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I have absolutely no expertise here.

OP - sorry to stray from your original question. But I think the thread could show your daughter that her distress may not have been an entirely unreasonable response to the set-up.

Sue