Originally Posted by eco21268
Little update: the neuropsych sent me an email, saying she needs to ask me some more "developmental" questions so she can complete the eval. She said she can do it via phone this week.

I can't imagine what's she has to ask that we haven't already covered--ugh! I'm trying not to drive myself crazy worrying about this. Mixed results.

They probably want things like age when walked, talked, all that kind of stuff. Sometimes that helps them decide things if they are on the fence.

I will say that in our experience with gifted ASD it was important to separate verbal giftedness/fluency from pragmatic language use. It took us a while to find people who were able to do that.

It will be too late to do anything with the results this year

Report the results ASAP and ask for a meeting to re-evaluate in light of the new evidence. I agree that it may or may not happen this year, but it's a priority that it happen as soon as possible. You can change the 504 meeting agenda to accommodate as needed.

Even though it's late in the year, it helps the school to have a heads up.

I think I'll need an advocate, regardless of the school's stance, because I don't feel capable of separating my emotions from the situation. Even having devoured the Emotions-->Advocacy book.

It is also useful to have an advocate because *they can say things in meetings that you can't.* If I tell people my fourth grader has read and understood a college textbook, no one will believe me. If the advocate says it, it's plausible.

Likewise: they can call people out when they say inappropriate things, in a matter of fact way. That role is very tough for a parent.