Originally Posted by DeeDee
Eco, none of this is pleasant to hear. And yet your tester's observations match all you've said here, and she sounds responsible.

"Something has to change" can be the school having to change... need not be all on your DS and you (as it has been to date).

I think something positive is in the works here. I really do. Hang onto the long view.
I hope. I'm still processing all of it. Not sure why I focus so much on the negative...bc she said a lot of really nice things, too:

She said she had asked open-ended questions of teachers re: strengths and there were "many" mentioned (but we did not discuss those. I hope they are in report).

She said that DS *is* really funny, and had her LOL'ing a lot during testing.

She said he exhibited several very kind/helpful behaviors, including helping by picking up blocks which fell to ground during test, and also retrieving a ball that had rolled away. She seemed to think that was relevant. And also that he understood he should not go under her chair to retrieve ball (personal space?)

She said he is NOT a kid who needs less challenge (nor more) curriculum-wise, but needs a lot of structure and support with EF, and that removing him from the program would present a new problem.

She said her hunch is that he would not particularly benefit from OT types of interventions.

She gave me the name of a guy who runs social-skills groups (woot!)

One poignant thing she mentioned: she said DS considers a "friend" someone who he can discuss things with (at school) and that he is not bothered by lack of social life outside of school and prefers his "space," which she thinks is okay. She mentioned it was notable that his definition of "friend" was not even what would be expected on a vocabulary basis, based on his verbal ability. He didn't even mention his "true" best friend. smirk

She echoed indigo's thought that trying to "bond" and be "friendly" with teachers via critical remarks about errors is a social error. She stated he needs some remediation about how a student/teacher relationship functions.

Sorry for the blather. I feel addled. smile