Originally Posted by eco21268
I talked to DS on the way to school. He agrees with psych that his intense feelings are not matched with equal coping skills and that avoidance/withdrawal does not help him succeed.

He sounds like a great kid who wants to succeed. That is hugely important.

He said it will be no problem to cease and desist with the "class clown" stuff, now that he knows it is a problem. Time will tell on that one.

I agree with psych about social errors about teacher/student roles and appropriateness. This can be taught as a thinking strategy-- at the beginning of an interaction, noticing what role the interlocutor is in (teacher? police officer? boss? buddy? best friend?) and choosing words accordingly.

Does anyone know if you can get behavior analysis and/or behavior intervention plan with 504?

Generally anything that requires staffing (behavior analysis) requires an IEP. I would definitely prefer an IEP for a child with these challenges.

I'm sorry that I keep going on and on and on. Nobody IRL (with the exception of my sister) believes that any of this is happening (my mother, for instance, said I HATE diagnoses!--but didn't offer a better alternative). So I'm alone with it. I'm divorced and kids' dad is absent. So this board is my fill-in. I will mellow out soon. smile

An online friend helped me during our diagnosis year and the subsequent struggles with figuring out appropriate education for DS12. You should ask for the support you need. I will keep paying it forward, as will others, I'm sure.

You are doing a beautiful job. I am impressed with your caring and smarts, and with your DS's beautiful spirit. I think you'll be fine-- just some things to sort out and work on here.