Originally Posted by bluemagic
I expect this is going after are pre-university courses like exist at the CA State Universities. When you enter Cal State you need to demonstrate a minimum level of math & writing skills. You can do this with certain grades on the SAT/ACT, AP Tests, or their own placement tests that can be taken while still in H.S. You can be admitted to the various campuses without passing these courses, but you can not start taking regular classes until you have taken and passed remedial coursework. Math and/or a writing class taught over the summer. This coursework does not count towards your degree and does cost money. My guess the above is trying to suggest that if you pass Common Core Algebra II it is the equivalent of passing the math test. Algebra II proficiency is what these tests look for now so I assume that is the equivalent course one would need to pass.
That is also my understanding.

Problem with that is assuming the same quality over all Algebra II classes throughout the U.S. is going to be quite a challenge. How is that going to be implemented, require passing a standardized test? Isn't that just pushing the pea around the pod.
Agreed! Consider this statement "… It is a shift about standards, it’s a shift about assessment because it means they will be equally measured, and it’s finally a shift about curriculum" at 3:33 – 3:38 in the documentary video. This seems to indicate that the quality across classes may be standardized by a shift in curriculum to that which seems correlated to the best assessment scores.