Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
On some level, though it may as well be a mandatory thing. This is particularly the case for kids like ours, who probably aren't on the side of things that is considering "minimum standards" for admission to second and third tier institutions as college students.

For the group that is elite college material, this move makes it HARDER to gain acceptance if you're lower SES, not easier.

Because it removes the g-loading to such a degree that now other things are going to be used as proxies since this will not longer have the same discriminating power. The only question is-- what KINDS of "other things" will this mean?

My suspicion is that this is going to mean an increased frenzy (already substantial in many areas) on EC's and competitions. Which of course leaves out kids who are disadvantaged geographically, economically, or by disability/temperment are not well-suited to those activities. My daughter would likely be among them, fwiw.

N'est pas?
I understand and I am not pleased about the changes. This could directly affect DS15 who might have a harder time gaining acceptance with the changes in this test. I had been counting on SAT testing as being a huge help for him. But my older daughter is one of those kids who has been on the "minimum standards" line and have seen the other side of this coin.

Does anyone know how this will affect the PSAT?