I refuse to lower the Bar for My kids - because we want to learn More and they are capable of learning more ! They value Knowledge more than the material bounties!

I have no problems with making the preparation for ACT/ Sat etc available for underprivileged kids ! That is leveling the playing field, don't lower the standards.

I am surprised that all this is going on unopposed !
This provides great food for thought. "They value Knowledge more than material bounties!" especially resonated with me. smile

Do other readers here take the opportunity to read the Davidson Institute Tweets (in the right-hand column, underneath Recent Posts)? Have others read the blog article at the recently tweeted link: http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-perfect-score-or-not.html? A comment there discusses coaching for SAT and ends with "There are documented racial differences in scores not because of aptitude but because of the cultural differences in examples used. If you've never seen a gazebo, it is going to throw you for a loop when it's used as an example in a question." While this would not apply to the math section of the exam, some may question what cultural difference, advantage, or bias exists related to "gazebo" as a vocabulary word?

Previous posters have mentioned the benefits of becoming familiar with rarified words by being well-read; books are available to all through our country's free public library system. Is it possible that more test-takers become familiar with gazebos through reading the word and looking it up, than through seeing a gazebo?

Wikipedia describes gazebos as being in public parks. Is it possible that test-takers have seen gazebos but not learned the word for them?

Ultimately our task may not be to oppose something so much as it may be to encourage conversation and sharing of many ideas with all who wish to learn... boosting a sense of confidence, a sense of internal locus of control, and a sense of dignity in saying, "I do not know. Will you tell me?." Or better yet, when seeing a child doodling, upon asking what they are drawing, and hearing "nothing...", maybe take the time to name the things you see in their sketches as they just may be drawing "nothing..." for a reason. Some children may enjoy drawing something that they've seen and would like to know the word for.

The same principles hold true for other vocabulary words.

Just for fun, in wordcount gazebo is the word ranked 42,689; rarified is not loaded into the wordcount database.