Originally Posted by luvedu
Originally Posted by madeinuk
All this nonsense just reinforces my inclination to have DD go to uni outside of this country. A country that still has institutions of higher learning in which academic merit, a solid work ethic and passion about ideas are still valued.

Soon we will have to ! We came here for Higher institutions, great idea, great research...and I feel last 8 years the decline has been rapid with the push for equality at the cost of robbing the fruits of labor of handwork, intelligence and sacrifice...
By lower academic standards , you are making this country great ??? Alas !
Equality is Noble but for that you must enforce Equality in hard work and sacrifice (financial , emotional, social)

It just breaks my heart that now children who want to work hard and be smart/gifted...are no longer going to be rewarded !! I really thought that this administration knew better than to completely derail this country !

I refuse to lower the Bar for My kids - because we want to learn More and they are capable of learning more ! They value Knowledge more than the material bounties!

I have no problems with making the preparation for ACT/ Sat etc available for underprivileged kids ! That is leveling the playing field, don't lower the standards.

I am surprised that all this is going on unopposed !
Going on unopposed? The College Board is a FOR PROFIT Corporation. It is not a government agency. It can decided to do whatever it thinks will make it the most profit. It might think it's better business decision to market more towards the average student. We don't have to like it. We don't have to use their product. There is the ACT and there are institutions that will admit students without testing.

I'm confused you say you "feel" there has been a decline in higher education in the US for the past 8 years. Can you be more quantitative? What specific makes you think that US Higher Institutions have been going downhill?

As to colleges setting basic standards, many schools already set their own minimum standards. For example Cal State Schools (Long Beach State, San Jose State, etc) have a new requirements (the past 3-4 years) that everyone who enters the university have minimum math & writing skills. One does not NEED to take the SAT/ACT to get in IF ones grades are good enough. But one needs to demonstrate by passing a system wide math & writing test to enroll You can be exempted from taking the test with high enough SAT, ACT, or AP test scores. These tests aren't necessary for admission, but if a student doesn't pass them they must pass Remedial class before they enroll. And these classes no longer count towards graduation.

Last edited by bluemagic; 03/08/14 01:14 PM.