Originally Posted by JonahSinick
Reading comprehension is highly g-loaded (e.g. the WISC-IV comprehension subtest correlates with g at the 0.73 level http://alpha.fdu.edu/psychology/wisciv_gloadings.htm), and the SAT verbal section mostly tests reading comprehension.

True, but SAT verbal questions aren't necessarily g-loaded. Many have no objectively right answers. This is why the directions tell you to choose the best answer, not the correct answer. They had to change to that phrase after many, many complaints about what was called the "correct" answer. The word "best" can't be debated and (IMO) got the College Board off the hook.

We've talked about this problem here before; I can't find the threads right now, but the upshot is generally that gifties tend to see nuances or overthink the answers and have trouble with the questions that don't have an objectively correct answer, while NT people tend not to have this problem.

I took the GRE before and after they removed the analogies. The analogies were a cakewalk for me: if I knew the vocabulary words, I knew the answer instantly and moved on. Then they substituted in questions that were more subjective. My score fell from solidly past the 99th percentile to 97th or 98th. It was the equivalent of a 40 point drop, I think. I had much more trouble with the new test: whereas I had finished the old one in time to check each answer, I only had time to check a portion of them on the new test. It was much more stressful because I couldn't figure out what some of the questions wanted. I remember thinking that some of the passages were relatively easy to understand, but the questions almost didn't make sense in context of the passage.

Last edited by Val; 03/05/14 02:13 PM. Reason: Edit