Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by MumOfThree
... questions like that are aimed at ...[/
[quote=MumOfThree] ... someone who physically can't push a trolley...

Use of the word trolley in this context is not typical "American" English, therefore I will ask whether you are in the US and have completed or may become subject to the American Community Survey (ACS) of the Census Bureau?

Just out of curiousity what would an American say (in case I visit), mundane things like that are not covered in TV programmes. Also that sort of question is probably common to many such forms in many countries.

and that sort of seating arrangement is the norm here. When we were kids our desks were in rows with spaces. You could poke your neighbour or anything without attracting attention. The main reason for the change seems to be it looks less old fashioned and more friendly to visiting parents and it makes it easier to share limited resources. I once watched kids do handwriting in a table for six kids - one of them was jiggling the table and preventing the others from writing properly. The teacher couldn't see from where she was. Another classroom I was in didn't have seating for all the kids, half of them sat on the floor with lapdesks for handwriting. A little difficult for the teacher who probably didn't supervise the one where she was required to crouch down ad much as the others. Our senior school (year 5/6) have just got "a modern learning environment". Ds6s teacher reckons it will suit him because he will be able to move round more, lounge on beanbags etc. I think half the kids will spend half their time moving around getting distracted but we will see. I need my own space so it would drive me crazy.

Last edited by puffin; 10/05/13 01:18 PM.