Originally Posted by blackcat
I read one of Amen's books and wish I could get both of my kids a SPECT scan. Is that what they are talking about now in the news when they say there's now a brain scan for ADHD?

I'm not sure of that. There have been a few who have found markers for ADD. I think some of the first work was done at Univ. of TN in Knoxville with EEGs. Amen mentioned this study inspiring him. He often says Psychiatrists are the only doctors who never look at the organ they treat.

What I most respect about Amen's work is that he was HIGHLY motivated to pursue better diagnostics and treatment because his wife and children suffered from it. He's lived it and is sympathetic. He is also not ANTI med. For some it is the best choice. He just doesn't START with drug trials. He starts with diagnostics like blood tests, computer testing, and SPECT scans in addition to extensive history. Those results determine the plan. Rather than try this drug, come back in a few weeks and we'll see how it goes. IF you can get the results you need through diet, exercise, biofeedback, vitamins, supplements, etc than certainly with the risks of medication it would be good to have that option available.

It is expensive to do the SPECT scans. I've seen them run about $1000 to $1200 each and insurance doesn't often cover it. For us, we thought we could easily spend that in psych bills trying to chase down solutions and diagnoses... My husband and I are considering saving for him to get his brain scanned as well. We know he has potential brain damage affecting him from a concussion as a teen. The full work up and follow up is about $3k plus we have to travel to get to one of the clinics. Knowing how helpful it was for my son it seems worth it to us.

I think the length and depth of this post is a testament to the passion and complexity of dealing with ADHD and its increasingly frequent diagnosis.