Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I'm also firmly of the belief that much of what IS diagnosed as AD(H)D in this country and many others is asynchrony which is temporary, and that pharmacology is applying a permanent solution to what is inherently not really even a major LIMITATION in the right circumstances for those children...

Because sure, one can look (with fMRI and PET) at ADULTS who have persistent executive deficits and tell them from nt controls, but the picture is WAY less clear when you look at "mild" impairment, or in immature subjects. Bottom line is that administering stimulants to immature brains may well leave them dependent for a lifetime. That's one facet of the pharmacology there that most clinicians simply do not grasp. It's certainly true in rats, though; if you chronically administer (even short term) stimulants that impact the biogenic amine transport system, there is PERMANENT re-regulation in that system's transporter expression, kinetics, and in receptors. Permanent as in those brains are conditioned to respond more robustly to those stimulants (regardless of mode of administration) and to exist in an altered state at baseline.

Thank you. I make it a point to never judge or criticize parents who medicate their kids, because I believe that each situation is unique, but HK clearly you and I are on the same page about this.

My DS9, never medicated and diagnosed with "severe" combined type ADHD is making massive improvements. Interestingly, we're only one month into this current school year and he's like a different kid - why? New teacher. Her teaching style suits his learning style. It's that simple.