Originally Posted by Val
[quote=HowlerKarma] to be fair, as Ultramarina pointed out, the problem isn't kids. It's college students. They really do fake having ADHD as a way to get stimulant prescriptions. They take the meds when they need to stay up all night studying. Think of this approach as adderalling my way to success. Alternatively, there are also students who fake the symptoms so that they can sell adderall/ritalin/various stimulants. If you don't believe me, look at these search results for adderall college students. If you've never heard of this problem, you're in for a bit of a surprise.

And as HK has pointed out, these drugs aren't benign. For example, look at my basic search for adderall college students deaths. You'll find peer-reviewed papers among the results.

This is true ... I was shocked to find it somewhat common in law school. I didn't delve much into it personally b/c I am afraid of putting drugs in my body and "messing with my mind" (lol - yes I will mess slightly with my mind using a good bottle of wine, though... ha ha! I do contradict myself!) However, from what I gathered one person had adhd (legit apparently) and was "dealing." Not sure if he faked or was really legit but he was dealing his meds for exam time. When I was first practicing I had two good friends at my firm - one had failed the bar ... when she was studying for it a second time the other friend said she would get her adhd drugs from her father who was doc to use during the bar exam. I was freaked out by that, honestly.

Ooops just reading other posts now - I want to add that I do not think giving a person or child with true ADHD/ADD "messing" with their mind ... I only meant that in reference to me taking a drug for a disorder I don't have - that would be "messing"... Just do not want to belittle/hurt anyone who does have adhd/add in any way!

Last edited by Irena; 10/02/13 03:17 AM.